GotTechED Episode 37:
In this episode, we’ll explore some of the benefits that audio recordings can bring to a student-centered classroom. We describe 10 specific project ideas that you can bring to your classroom that involve audio recordings AND give you the edtech you’ll need to make those projects a reality.
- General benefits of audio recording in student-centered classrooms
- Helps students with difficulty brainstorming
- “Safe” way to practice new learning/vocablulary for self-assessment – students can practice and repeat if they make a mistake. Not possible when handwriting or performing
- Revising work – keep students accountable by asking them to record reading their work out loud
- Tone of Voice – reading a written work out loud and the listening back can help refine dramatic pauses, transitions, mood, etc.
- Differentiation – Record your classroom lessons so that they are available to students after class as a powerful means to help students with learning disabilities
- Flipped Classroom – students learn at home by listening to podcasts, readings, dictations etc made by their teacher. Students like to learn from their own teacher!
- 10 Student-Centered Activities using audio recording
- Exit Slips – What have you learned today?
- Picture Annotation- explaining a graph showing a reaction from a Chemistry lab
- Thinglink Upload to YouTube as an MP4 (audio+picture)
- Google Slides
- Google Drawings
- Create a Google Slideshow and Insert a video onto a slide
- Set the start and stop time if you want only certain portions played by right-clicking on the video and choosing “Video options”.
- Now Copy the video from the Google Slideshow and paste it into any Google Drawing of your choosing.
- The video will play in your Google Drawing when your double-click on it.
- Vocal Language Test – World Languages Verbal / Conversational Test
- Student Podcasting / Passion Project / Alternate to an English Essay
- Music Recording – Write, record, and produce a song in various styles
- Music Recording – Peter and the Wolf
- Voice over Narration of a Comic Strip – bring a Google Slides Comic book to life
- MP4 trick with youtube
- StoryboardThat – automatically exports comics to presentation format in powerpoint or google slides – then audio record over top
- Audio FlashCards – Self Assessment / Formative Assessment
- BookWidgets – digital content creation that supports lessons and activities with audio and other interactive elements – https://www.bookwidgets.com/. Has flashcard templates where your recorded voice becomes part of the flashcard experience
- Peer-Peer Feedback- Voice comments in a Google Doc
- Talk and Comment
- Share with teacher and peers so everyone can hear the critique of the paper
- Talk and Comment
- Asynchronous Debates- debating hot topics over long interrupted time periods
- *** BONUS*** Math Explain Your Work-
- Take picture of your finished problem
- Post to slides
- Add audio
- Guise on Twitter @guisegotteched
- Nick on Twitter @nickgotteched
- GotTechED the Podcast on Twitter @wegotteched
Other Relatable GotTechED Episodes:
Making the Switch from Traditional to Student-Centered Teaching https://gotteched.com/episode13 Student Centered Learning Making the Switch from Traditional to Student-Centered Teaching Student-Centered Learning: Methods of Best Practice https://gotteched.com/episode14 Student Centered Learning Student-Centered Learning: Methods of Best Practice Second-Chance Learning, Escape Rooms, and Pecha Kucha https://gotteched.com/episode17 Student Centered Learning Second-Chance Learning, Escape Rooms, and Pecha Kucha Flipped Classroom, UDL, and Edtech Reform https://gotteched.com/episode21 Student Centered Learning Flipped Classroom, UDL, and Edtech Reform Is a Genius Hour a Genius Idea https://gotteched.com/episode24 Student Centered Learning Is a Genius Hour a Genius Idea Using Edjinotes for Student Collaboration and Feedback with Dan Gallagher https://gotteched.com/episode28 Student Centered Learning EdTech Fantasy Draft: 41 EdTech Tools for the Student-Centered Classroom https://gotteched.com/episode29 Student Centered Learning 24 Tech Tools for Student-Centered Learning https://gotteched.com/episode31 Student Centered Learning 24 Tech Tools for Student-Centered Learning The Ultimate Guide to Classroom Screencasting https://gotteched.com/episode32 Student Centered Learning The Ultimate Guide to Classroom Screencasting How to Implement Passion Projects into your Classroom https://gotteched.com/episode33 Student Centered Learning How to Implement Passion Projects into your Classroom
Other ways to follow GotTechED
- Apple Podcasts https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/gotteched/id1358366637?mt=2
- Google Podcasts https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/Indeizidhz4h37mawfylwdgco4y
- Stitcher https://www.stitcher.com/search?q=gotteched
- YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIQwu39Tkow3kduRQAH85w?view_as=subscriber
- Twitter https://twitter.com/WeGotTechED
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WeGotTechED/