Episode #44: Essential EdTech for Your Outdoor Classroom
In this episode of GotTechED the Podcast we discuss:
- Outdoor Classrooms: What are they and why should you have one?
- EdTech for the Outdoor Classroom
- Lesson ideas that infused edtech with your Outdoor Classroom
If you are a new listener to GotTechED the Podcast, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Page and let us know how we can help you today!
What is an outdoor classroom, what are some common features, and why build one?
Check out the https://outdoorclassroomproject.org for more resources on how to create an outdoor classroom.
Look for grants from sites like Project Learning Tree: https://www.plt.org/resources/greenworks-grants/
- PlantNet or PlantSnap or Google Lens for quick plant identification
- Starwalk for augmented reality info about stars and constellations – night time only
- GyroCompass – compass app. Teach kids about magnetic north vs. true north
- Civilisations AR – augmented reality historical artifacts become part of the background in any outdoor setting
- Xnote – virtual treasure hunt app
- Rockhound and SmartGeology – rock and mineral identification apps
- Audobon identification apps
- Metaverse – With the Metaverse app, students can play mobile games in augmented reality, go geocaching have location-based experiences, make puzzles, choose their own adventure and go on scavenger hunts. With the Metaverse studio, you can create your own interactive stories and breakout games for your students. Get a free account and discover how amazing this app is!
- QR Code Scavenger Hunt.
- Latitude and longitude navigation with Google Maps.
- Geocaching with the Geocaching App.
- Garden/Greenhouse Engineering with Google Science Journal.
- Ecological Study with Google Sheets.
- Water Studies with pH probes.
- Historical Re-enactments with ScreenCast-o-Matic.
Subscribe to our Podcast
Connect with us on Social Media
- Guise on Twitter @guisegotteched
- Nick on Twitter @nickgotteched
- GotTechED the Podcast on Twitter @wegotteched
Join the Conversation and our PLN
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our Facebook Group Page.
This weeks question is:
Question: What are some ways that you have used the outdoors to enhance your classroom?
Other Relatable GotTechED Episodes:
Need a Presenter?
As experienced presenters and content creators, you can contact Nick and Guise to speak at your school, event, or conference. They can customize a workshop that meets your organization’s unique time and content needs. While no topic is out of bounds, GotTechED is best known for sessions on:
- 1:1 Chromebook Integration
- EdTech Throwdown
- TargetED Learning
- Gamification (Badge Systems)
- Game-Based Learning (Escape Rooms, Amazing Race, and more)
- Google apps and extensions
- Personalized learning and Choice Boards
- Teacher productivity (Lesson Planning, Online Grading. and Feedback)
- Digital content creation
- Student Podcasting
- Flipped Classroom
- Student-Centered Learning