Episode #45 Elevate Learning with Gamification Techniques
In this episode of GotTechED the Podcast we discuss:
- What is Gamification?
- Common uses of Gamification EdTech Tools
- Ideas for Implementing Gamification into the Classroom
If you are a new listener to GotTechED the Podcast, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Page and let us know how we can help you today!
Segment 1: What is Gamification?
- Gamification is an alternative method of learning compared to the traditional idea of learning. Instead of fearing the task of learning new things, gamification uses game elements to encourage and motivate students through the use of a game or a fun activity.
- Examples of gamification elements:
- Experience points
- Level ups
Segment 2: What are some commonly used gamification EdTech tools?
- Play Brighter – students answer questions successfully earning currency that can be used to customize their avatars in the game.
- Minecraft Education Edition – students interact, collaborate on projects, and share portfolios with their peers in a game world related to the content you’re teaching. While you can build your own Minecraft world, there are pre-built worlds and lessons already available on the app.
- Crossword Puzzle Maker
- Jigsaw Planet
- Wheel of Names
- Red Reveal- drawings
- Scoreboard- sheets
- Hyperdoc- docs
- Lock Code- Forms
Segment 3: What are some gamification ideas you can use in your classroom?
- Using Pop Culture themes – each week you give a team or individual challenge and the points go towards leveling up or allows them to buy power-ups.
- Badge system for students – Badg.us, Badgr, Mozilla’s Open Badge Infrastructure (OBI)
- Flippity to keep track of badges
- Discussion Scoreboard
- Murder Mystery Scenario with role playing and learning content to solve the mystery
- Backwards grading. Start from 0 and assign points as they achieve. Feels like rewards rather than punishments. Alternative to ClassCraft – design your own XP system. More XP can buy them things in your class.
Subscribe to our Podcast
Connect with us on Social Media
- Guise on Twitter @guisegotteched
- Nick on Twitter @nickgotteched
- GotTechED the Podcast on Twitter @wegotteched
Join the Conversation and our PLN
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our Facebook Group Page.
This weeks question is:
Question: How do you use gamification in the classroom?
Other Relatable GotTechED Episodes:
Need a Presenter?
As experienced presenters and content creators, you can contact Nick and Guise to speak at your school, event, or conference. They can customize a workshop that meets your organization’s unique time and content needs. While no topic is out of bounds, GotTechED is best known for sessions on:
- 1:1 Chromebook Integration
- EdTech Throwdown
- TargetED Learning
- Gamification (Badge Systems)
- Game-Based Learning (Escape Rooms, Amazing Race, and more)
- Google apps and extensions
- Personalized learning and Choice Boards
- Teacher productivity (Lesson Planning, Online Grading. and Feedback)
- Digital content creation
- Student Podcasting
- Flipped Classroom
- Student-Centered Learning