15 Awesome Cell Phone Apps for Teachers and Students
GotTechED the Podcast
Episode #108: 15 Awesome Cell Phone Apps for Teachers and Students
Welcome back to GotTechED the podcast this is Episode 108 called “15 Awesome Cell Phone Apps for Teachers and Students.” In this episode, we’ll review 15 smart phone apps that deserve a place in your classroom. We’ll also discuss some of the pros and cons of allowing cell phone use in school. This is another episode you don’t want to miss. Check it out.
Segment 1: Updates
Congrats to Nearpod – Guise thought Quizzizz was going to win, haha
Segment 2: Mobile Apps for Teachers and Students
Cell Phones in school: yes or no?
- Send reminders to students via text with tools like Remind
- Students used to use school-provided agenda books, but not anymore. Many keep track of things by taking pictures, adding notes, or calendar apps like Google Calendar
- Ss can access apps that help them keep track of grades, view work via Google Apps, etc
- Flipped classrooms allow for viewing content anywhere, shouldn’t phones be a part of that?
- In the real world they will use phones and use them heavily, why not teach them how to do it responsibly? Teach digital literacy
- They are inevitable. Why keep fighting a battle we can’t win?
- Increased safety during drills and emergency situations
- ESL students can use Google Translate and other apps to help learn
- Do students really use them as learning tools most of the time?
- Constantly looking things up online doesn’t promote real learning, critical thinking, and an analytical mind
The Tools: all of these can be found on the apple app store and most on android as well
Segment 3: Where to Find GotTechED
Do us 3 favors
- Subscribe to GotTechED the Podcast
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Write us an Apple Podcast Review!
- Tell your friends about www.gotteched.com
- Tell your friends about the Teach Better Podcast Network
- The Degs: Shotgun http://freemusicarchive.org/music/The_Degs/
- @bensounds https://www.bensound.com/
Subscribe to our Podcast
Connect with us on Social Media
- Guise on Twitter @guisegotteched
- Nick on Twitter @nickgotteched
- GotTechED the Podcast on Twitter @wegotteched
Join the Conversation and our PLN
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our Facebook Group Page.
Need a Presenter?
As experienced presenters and content creators, you can contact Nick and Guise to speak at your school, event, or conference. They can customize a workshop that meets your organization’s unique time and content needs. While no topic is out of bounds, GotTechED is best known for sessions on:
- 1:1 Chromebook Integration
- EdTech Throwdown
- TargetED Learning
- Gamification (Badge Systems)
- Game-Based Learning (Escape Rooms, Amazing Race, and more)
- Google apps and extensions
- Personalized learning and Choice Boards
- Teacher productivity (Lesson Planning, Online Grading. and Feedback)
- Digital content creation
- Student Podcasting
- Flipped Classroom
- Student-Centered Learning
Leave a Comment