GotTechED the Podcast
Episode #120: Should It Stay or Should It Go
Welcome back to GotTechED the podcast this is Episode 120 called “Should It Stay or Should It Go” In this episode, we’ll discuss some popular educational acronyms and discuss whether they still have a place in education and edtech. We’ll also share some updates on our fall/winter presentation schedule for this coming school year. This is another episode you don’t want to miss, check it out.
Segment 1: Updates
- Teachbetter Conference October 14th and 15th
- Presenting Edtech Throwdown with Stephanie Howell
- Podcasters Row
- Free LincSpring Virtual Conference
- Shout out to our buddy Kyle Niemis who is a former edtech coach who is now working for Quizizz.
- Where motivation meets mastery https://quizizz.com
- Motivate every student to mastery with easy-to-customize content combined with tools for inclusive assessment, instruction, and practice.
- I really like Quizizz because it has been an awesome tool for engaging students both in and out of the classroom. You can assign games for homework or have students work on these engaging alternative assessments in class. What makes Quizizz one of my edtech tools… it’s gamification features and the variety of question types.
Segment 2: Should It Stay or Should It Go?
- Blended Learning/Personalized Learning
- PBL- problem or project based learn
- HHMI biointeractive
- CBL – case-based learning
- University of Buffalo
- GBL – game based learning
- UDL – universal design for learning
- CER – claims, evidence, reasoning
- Microlearning is a form of spaced repetition learning, in which lessons are broken up into bite-sized chunks and repeated over time.
- This is said to help new concepts and skills sink in for the long term.
- PLC – professional learning community
- STEM or STEAM –
- STEAM, the difference lies in the way they approach scientific concepts. STEM focuses explicitly on the hard scientific, technological, engineering or mathematical skills to drive progress or create a new concept. In STEAM curricula, per The Conversation, students leverage both hard and soft skills to solve problems.
- VR/AR – virtual and augmented reality
- BYOD – bring your own device
- e-Learning – electronic learning
- EduTainment – The act of learning through a medium that both educates and entertains
- Creation-Based Learning
Segment 3: EdTech Showcase
- UnRollME unsubscribe emails
- Knowt https://knowt.io/ notecards
- Unlayer email templates editor
Segment 4: Where to Find GotTechED
Do us 3 favors
- Subscribe to GotTechED the Podcast
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Write us an Apple Podcast Review!
- Tell your friends about www.gotteched.com
- Tell your friends about the Teach Better Podcast Network
Subscribe to our Podcast
Connect with us on Social Media
- Guise on Twitter @guisegotteched
- Nick on Twitter @nickgotteched
- GotTechED the Podcast on Twitter @wegotteched
Join the Conversation and our PLN
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our Facebook Group Page.
Need a Presenter?
As experienced presenters and content creators, you can contact Nick and Guise to speak at your school, event, or conference. They can customize a workshop that meets your organization’s unique time and content needs. While no topic is out of bounds, GotTechED is best known for sessions on:
- 1:1 Chromebook Integration
- EdTech Throwdown
- TargetED Learning
- Gamification (Badge Systems)
- Game-Based Learning (Escape Rooms, Amazing Race, and more)
- Google apps and extensions
- Personalized learning and Choice Boards
- Teacher productivity (Lesson Planning, Online Grading. and Feedback)
- Digital content creation
- Student Podcasting
- Flipped Classroom
- Student-Centered Learning