GotTechED the Podcast
Episode #97: Strategies for Bringing Gamification into the Classroom!
Welcome back to GotTechED the podcast this is Episode #97 called “Strategies for Bringing Gamification into the Classroom!” In this episode we’re talking about everything gamification including, what it is, the reasons to use it, and some of our favorite edtech tools that support it. This is sure to be a gotteched-classic episode and another that you don’t want to miss. Check it out.
- On-Demand Learning Sessions, Teaching Tips, and Community Features to Help You THRIVE Throughout the Entire School Year.
- Chuck Poole (From New Jersey)
- The New Edtech Classroom
- New EdTech Classroom Academy offers teachers a unique learning experience. Unlimited access to engaging, interactive courses, monthly Q&A calls, exclusive webinars with industry experts, & more!
- Sam Kary
- Thom Gibson
- Charity Dodd
- LINC, the Learning Innovation Catalyst, is excited for LINCstream Fall 2021, LINC’s fully virtual conference for leaders and educators. The theme is Accelerating Student Achievement and the agenda, designed by LINC’s team of experts, is designed to meet the most urgent needs of leaders and educators, with streams focused on leadership, transformational instruction, equity, and wellness. LINCstream has sessions for everyone and it is free and open to educators everywhere-we hope you will join us. Check out the entire agenda, including our amazing lineup of keynote speakers! Save the dates — November 3 + 4, 2021 — and register to join us.
Segment 2: What is Gamification?
- Gamification is about transforming the classroom environment and regular activities into a game. It requires creativity, collaboration and play. There are numerous ways to bring games and game playing into the classroom to promote learning and deepen student understanding of subject matter.
- Top Reasons to gamify the classroom:
- Makes learning fun and interactive.
- Creates an addiction to learning.
- Gives learners the opportunity to see real-world applications.
- Offers real-time feedback.
- Gamification enhances the learning experience.
- Strategies that Gamify the Classroom:
- Embed a Google Sheets table into your website
- Setting Competitions in the classroom
- Who Wants to be a Millionaire
- Weakest Link
- Match Game
- Badge Creator
- Canva for Education
- Narratives and Simulations
- Book Creator
- is an audio/video editor that includes transcription, a screen recorder, publishing, full multi-track editing, and some AI tools.
- Content-based Puzzles
- Digital and Physical Escape Rooms
- Real-world Experiences
- Skype a scientist
- data nuggets
- Content Creation
- Film Festival
- Write a kids book
- How to publish a book on amazon
- Photography Contest
- Students send in photos
- Publish on Google Sites
- Vote with Google Forms
- Students design a comic strip and present at a comic-con inspired celebration in class. Various honorable mentions are awarded after class discussion
- Podcast Listening Party
- Students write and record podcasts. The class listens to them and discusses on a certain day or over the course of many days
- Gamification for the classroom BIG PICTURE
- Make Your Own
- Amazing Race
- The Apprentice Challenge
- Class Olympics
- Saturday Night Live Skits/Videos
- News Reporter
Segment 3: Where to Find GotTechED
Do us 3 favors
- Subscribe to GotTechED the Podcast
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Write us an Apple Podcast Review!
- Tell your friends about www.gotteched.com
Subscribe to our Podcast
Connect with us on Social Media
- Guise on Twitter @guisegotteched
- Nick on Twitter @nickgotteched
- GotTechED the Podcast on Twitter @wegotteched
Join the Conversation and our PLN
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our Facebook Group Page.
Need a Presenter?
As experienced presenters and content creators, you can contact Nick and Guise to speak at your school, event, or conference. They can customize a workshop that meets your organization’s unique time and content needs. While no topic is out of bounds, GotTechED is best known for sessions on:
- 1:1 Chromebook Integration
- EdTech Throwdown
- TargetED Learning
- Gamification (Badge Systems)
- Game-Based Learning (Escape Rooms, Amazing Race, and more)
- Google apps and extensions
- Personalized learning and Choice Boards
- Teacher productivity (Lesson Planning, Online Grading. and Feedback)
- Digital content creation
- Student Podcasting
- Flipped Classroom
- Student-Centered Learning